Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Much Needed R&R

Oh God, was that needed. I met my wife in Greece and we spent four days in Athens and then we traveled to Santorini where we spent 10 days. I think it was 10 days as time seems to pass differently in paradise. However, I could have been in a run down shack on the north cliff overlooking hell and it would have been paradise because I had my wife with me. We hadn't seen each other since I went on pass way back at the beginning of the deployment.

I am a history nut, so a city where the ancient archeological sites are nestled right in with modern city was amazing. However, I do believe that four days in Athens was plenty. We got to see the Acropolis, the Temple to Olympic Zeus and many other cross sections of ancient Greece. I loved seeing my wife's face light up to history. I know her enjoyment was more at imagining living the life of a Grecian in those days; where as my enjoyment came from the dates, the history, the advancements and the architecture. I believe that I may have found a way for us both to enjoy history, even though she won't ever enjoy the same parts that I do. At the same time she is the artist so I will probably never see things in quite the way she does either, and it works that way.

Santorini really was amazing and peaceful. It was odd that we both spent the last three days in Santorini sick and yet it was the most relaxing thing I have done since being deployed. I know, deployments are not supposed to be relaxing. The island was beautiful and it was easy to live slow there. All in all, I believe that the break gave me the resilience that I need to finish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment